• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Oil spill - the end of fresh Florida seafood?

What % of Floridian's have change their mind from "Drill, baby drill", to "Not in my backyard!"?

For those that opposed drilling off Florida's coast from the beginning, it's kinda bittersweet. It's terribly sad that it takes something of this magnitude to open people's eyes. They say it's rare to have an oil spill/leak. All it takes is one. It will have a devastating effect on numerous industries across our great country. Though 80% of our seafood in the US is from foreign waters. I guess it goes along with everything else that's made outside the US.

I'm still for drilling within 20 miles offshore of my coast. At least 60ft of water is better to deal with than 5000ft if there is a screw up.

What % of Floridian's have change their mind from "Drill, baby drill", to "Not in my backyard!"?

For those that opposed drilling off Florida's coast from the beginning, it's kinda bittersweet. It's terribly sad that it takes something of this magnitude to open people's eyes. They say it's rare to have an oil spill/leak. All it takes is one. It will have a devastating effect on numerous industries across our great country. Though 80% of our seafood in the US is from foreign waters. I guess it goes along with everything else that's made outside the US.

Unfortunately Scott, the same logic could be applied to Nuclear energy. We have Nuke plants all over the place, including a couple within glow in the dark range of us in the Bay area.
As we saw with Chernobyl...it only takes one to make the place an uninhabitable desert for quite a while:(

Then there's the coal plants, explosion risks and pollution problems....

I guess what I'm saying is, everything has it's risks:(

We need better, more competent, less panty waste oversight people!!:mad:

Somebody that can't be bought and doesn't give a fat rat's arse about political correctness, what people think of thier opinions and decisions, has NO politcal aspirations, and is only concerned with the safety and wellfare of the workers and the cleanliness of our oceans and beaches...

...now....where do Andy and I apply?:):D:lmao:

I'm still for drilling within 20 miles offshore of my coast. At least 60ft of water is better to deal with than 5000ft if there is a screw up.

Absolutely. At least at that depth, you can get people and equipment down there!:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: I,m a native Floridian, as was my dad, Im for drilling more than 20 miles out.
We have ship loads of oil & gas coming under the Skyway everyday, that are a potential diaster every day, (had 1 good one several years that cleaned up nicely)
and no one says a word.
As long as we need gas & oil, I dont see any way around the oil business.

As long as the oil companies are FULLY responsible for all damages, then yes, drill. If they are not willing to accept the risks, then neither are we.

As long as the oil companies are FULLY responsible for all damages, then yes, drill. If they are not willing to accept the risks, then neither are we.

I too am a native Floridian (which is part of the reason this site and it's members mean so much to me compared to the "big" sites), and I too am for the exploration of our oil reserves:thumbsup:

Bit like Rich says. The oil companies who are going to ultimately reap the benefit, should also stand ready (and by federal statute as well) to be held responsible for all damages, period!

No loopholes, no "if's" of "buts!"
you have a problem, it's YOUR problem!

This zero tolerance policy would necessarily force the oil companies into compliance. Want to drill? Accept the risk. If not, take your drill and GTFO:D Pretty simple huh?

As long as there's a dependence of oil, why not be dependent onourselves? Hell, maybe we can sell a few gzillion barrells to some other country while we're at it:D:thumbsup:

Big Oil won't let any other source of energy come into play if they can help it. It reminds me of when I purchased my Dyson vacuum. Dyson had over 5,000 prototypes of his vacuum before finding the one that worked. He tried to sell it to many of the big vacuum companies. No one bit. After he got everything right and it became the best vacuum on the market, the president of Hoover Europe said that had he known it would have been that good, he would have bought the idea and put it on the shelf.

Heck, just do some investigation and find out how many of our "representatives" in Washington D.C. have stock in the oil companies. :rolleyes: Do you really think they will do anything that will negatively impact their own financial status?

Well oil has been spotted in the Keys and BP on there latest venture claims they are capturing 40% of the oil.Using "NEW MATH" that means 80% is still flowing and will continue .The good news ?? there is none.

I bet if the CEO of BP was given a choice weeks ago ,Gitmo for life or stop the flow------------

Oil Spill

The oil is not to the Key yet as you can see.......
Unfortunately, it appears that the Deepwater Horizon oil spill has gotten entrained into the northern part of the Loop Current of the Gulf Stream. Here is a high resolution picture taken from the MODIS TERRA satellite Monday afternoon.

:mad: Jim :mad:

Attachments

• gulf.jpg
    gulf.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 54
Look folks, BP said today that the impact on the environment will be minimal. You're all worrying about nothing. Geez, is this guy nuts? :shrug01:

Look folks, BP said today that the impact on the environment will be minimal. You're all worrying about nothing. Geez, is this guy nuts? :shrug01:

The fact is some of this damage will be naturally resolved. Unfortunately, the things that are likely to be impacted the most (IMO) are the "natural" filters, coral, sea grass, etc., along with certain species of edible fish.

"If" the oil makes it ashore in bulk (no pun intended) then the ancillary damage to tourism and it's supporting industries will be phenominal!

Was listening to a lady yesterday who's son is a commercial fishing capt. in Key West. They are booked solid through September with charters.

If our idiot government and the drama queen media, continue to hype this as they're doing, they'll do a better job of damaging the state that the damned oil spill:thumbsdown:

Apparently, according to the Capt., there's no oil shoing up in the keys (yet) and the "tar balls" everyone is screaming about, have been washing up regularly down there for decades:yesnod:

We need to get a grip, STFU and quit trying to dramatize this so badly that the tourists decide to go elsewhere. If and when something happens is plenty of time to worry.

In the mean time, plan for cleanup just in case:thumbsup:

They say by Monday the oil will reach Miami. That's whats being reported but as you said the news is making the news so who knows?

I've always said we have the worlds knowledge at our finger tips but there are so many arguments about how to deal with this I cannot begin to imagine who is right and who doesn't know what they're talking about. Not that my opinion matters to anyone but me. At least one scientist says to just leave it alone and let mother nature take care of it.

What pizzes me off the most is one of the workers says that thing has been deteriorating for quite some time. If that's true. there can be no fine stiff enough for BP.

They say by Monday the oil will reach Miami. That's whats being reported but as you said the news is making the news so who knows?

I've always said we have the worlds knowledge at our finger tips but there are so many arguments about how to deal with this I cannot begin to imagine who is right and who doesn't know what they're talking about. Not that my opinion matters to anyone but me. At least one scientist says to just leave it alone and let mother nature take care of it.

What pizzes me off the most is one of the workers says that thing has been deteriorating for quite some time. If that's true. there can be no fine stiff enough for BP.

BP has already publically agreed to forego the 75 mil cap and pay ALL cleanup costs. That remains to be seen.

As for nature cleaning it up, she certainly will...that's where the coral and seagrasses come in. Unfortunatly, they toll on the fragile ocean envirnoment (now I'm sounding like a tree hugger!) will suffer.

Nature was never intended to clean up massive amounts of OIL!!

It is what it is, and it'll be what it shall be. nothing more we can do now but hope they get it capped sometime soon (completely) and help with the cleanup.

the rest is fodder for the news media and politicians to gain ratings and votes:(

Eh? I thought this was a NEW well that was just recently drilled? The platform that exploded was a DRILLING platform, not actually the platform that extracts the oil from the well. :shrug01:

If that is so, then what exactly had been "deteriorating for quite some time"?

Maybe I'm just completely mistaken about the above...... :confused:

Back