• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Oil spill - the end of fresh Florida seafood?

Some scary crap .Good news is that the tropical low now south of Cuba never developed .It also looks like there is nothing forming .

Wow, I figured there was a lot of gas coming out with the oil, but DAMN. That's crazy. I have predicted that most of the gulf will be very very stagnate for years to come, but this is actually taking it to the next level. The Dead Sea may have nothing over the the Gulf after this. But...she will bounce back, just may be quite some time.

You know what's really crazy, is that BP could pay hundreds of millions of dollars per year for probably over a decade to people effected in the Gulf Region and still be making BILLIONS of dollars off this one well. There's just too much money in oil....

Sensationalism aside, this increase in methane infused into the waters of the Gulf of Mexico could be worrisome, if the actual facts indicated have some substance to them...

Sensationalism aside, this increase in methane infused into the waters of the Gulf of Mexico could be worrisome, if the actual facts indicated have some substance to them...
What scares the hell out of me is I'm sure there is some substance .If some of the predictions and assessments are 20% correct well all be in deep chit.

You know, I've been watching some of the live feeds of this event, and something really puzzles me...

How is it that these live feeds are so CLEAR? I just watched ROV1 pick up something off of the sea floor and it created a substantial cloud from the silt. Do you mean to tell me that this HUGE flow of oil (or whatever it is) is not generating any turbulence around it at all, and the sea floor around it still has a deep layer of silt completely untouched by any turbulence at all? The water is WAY too clear down there. I would think it would be like trying to see through a major dust storm.

Oh yeah, and as for the bright coloration of that oil column being from the lighting, please tell me, what sort of light would you use to shine on a BLACK column of oil to make it appear yellow and orange? What exactly IS that that is coming out of that pipe?

As for the oil being orange and yellow, it could be mud. I will admit that I don't know much about oil drilling, but I've never assumed that the oil pockets in the crust are some perfectly pure collections of oil. I would assume that there's a lot of mud and rocks in there as well.

As for the oil being orange and yellow, it could be mud. I will admit that I don't know much about oil drilling, but I've never assumed that the oil pockets in the crust are some perfectly pure collections of oil. I would assume that there's a lot of mud and rocks in there as well.

Yeah.... I guess at this point we have no idea what is coming out of that well along with the oil.

I just wish they would get that sucker capped off and get as much oil cleaned up as possible before the first hurricane of the season comes in and really makes things challenging...

How is it that these live feeds are so CLEAR?

What exactly IS that that is coming out of that pipe?

The pipe isn't on the sea floor, it's actually a good ways away from it. I tried to find an illustration of it, but to no avail. For the color of the oil, it's a light crude oil, not a heavy crude like the exxon spill. This stuff is light and more of a cooking oil color. This is why it's coating the sea floor and not just rising to the top. There is also mud, and gas mixed in to boot.

Looks like health issues are beginning to escape the apparent blackout...

Here you go....

Thanks for taking the time to find it .The two things that caught my eye was that there has been no toxic study done .This would pertain to long term health issues .

Second it might give a clue as to the suspension of oil below the surface .

Although the MSDS sheet in itself does not consider the dispersant to be serious health issue there are a couple of concerns .Never has this product been used in such bulk .What happens when the oil/dispersant mix becomes an airborne vapor under storm conditions .

Thanks again for the info.

This video is about health concerns from the oil spill. Maybe it's just my ears playing tricks on me, but does the reporter REALLY say that "Those who have the higher risk of getting KILLED...." at the 1:40 time point?

This video is about health concerns from the oil spill. Maybe it's just my ears playing tricks on me, but does the reporter REALLY say that "Those who have the higher risk of getting KILLED...." at the 1:40 time point?

I think she said "higher risk of getting TILT"....a reference she used at the beginning of the broadcast, whatever that means.

Back